May the Force be with me…
Halloween is becoming a fun excuse for me to dress up Benji for our get-togethers with friends. And who says you
can only have fun dressing up little girls?
Last year, we had a fuss-free outfit and Benji was not totally clued in on what was going on!
This year, it was as clear as daylight what he would enjoy being costumed as… I present: Young Ben Kenobi!
I have the Taftc apparel pattern and sewing course to thank for the confidence to work on this project with the Simplicity 3575 pattern. The Dad said that the costume should not have a sash but I included it anyway to keep the layers from getting into the boy’s way.
For fabric, I used this lovely brown Essex Linen that I bought a long long time ago. There are a few learnings from this project:
1) Buy the pattern from the store, instead of purchasing the softcopy. I had to print 41 pages on my printer and used about 2 rolls of tapes taping the pages together. Even then, some lines were wonky. TEDIOUS!
2) The sleeves and robe length were way too long even when I used a XS child size which listed the same measurements as Benji’s.
3) The pattern doesn’t provide overlocking instructions or seam finishing recommendations. I will simply overlock every piece of fabric cut-outs in the future.
4) The sleeves were too long for my Son, and I decided to ‘hem’ the sleeves with the Blind Hem Stitch. I found it much easier to hem the narrower ‘tube’ by hand.
5) For the robe hem, I finally got to use my blind hem footer on the Bernina as it is meant to be used! It was so easy and it really works great on the garment.
Looking forward to next year’s dress-up already! 😀
Wah… the force is strong in this one… 😉 Great job on the dressing up!